Soy Rubbed Salmon Fillet with Dill Caper Mayonnaise
Marrakesh Carrot Salad
Herb Potato Salad
Soy Rubbed Salmon
One salmon fillet per person
Rub each with soy sauce
In a grill pan place them flesh side down and grill until the fish releases itself from the pan, grill on all sides. I like my salmon cooked all the way through.
Dill Caper Mayonnaise
1c Good mayonnaise
3T Capers. I prefer those packed in salt. If using this type make sure to rinse in cold water a couple of times to release some of the salt. Chop coarsely.
3T Chopped dill
3T Chopped parsley
1T Fresh squeezed lemon juice
Mix all in a small bowl. Let stand in fridge at least an hour, more if possible.
The quantities above are just a suggestion. I love dill and capers so I probably add more.
Marrakesh Carrot Salad (via FoodNetwork.com)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and grated
Combine all in a large bowl and let sit an hour or so before serving. One diner thought there was a little too much cumin...so maybe reduce that spice.
Herb Potato Salad
I had about two pounds of red bliss potatoes, medium sized. I cut them up into bit sized pieces and put into cold salted water. Brought to a boil and cooked until JUST done. You don't want the skin to start breaking from the meat of the potato.
Drain and cool to room temp or put in fridge.
In a medium bowl put the potatoes and add:
- Enough mayonnaise to coat
- Herbs of your choice. I had parsley and chives. If you don't have something on the piquant side, try a shallot or some green onions and as a last resort white onion.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- This is great made the day before or the morning of.
The potato salad recipe is an ode to my mother. At any family cookout the host always asks her to make her potato salad. It makes her so proud. I just put a little spin on it....:) Right mom?