Thursday, October 13, 2011

Gravlax

I've made this recipe many times.  Always delish.  Check my comments for quantities.  I'll post pics when it's finished.

Gravlax – from marthastewart.com

 Ingredients:

1 - Eight lb salmon cut into 2 filets skin on (I use about two 1lb filets w/skin on, but keep the rest of the ingredients the same.
1/4c whole anise seeds, toasted - I use fennel seeds.  Anise seeds too expensive.
1/4c caraway seeds toasted
1/4c fresh ground pepper
1c sugar
1/2c kosher salt
5 large bunches of dill - I use 2 for the smaller quantity
1/4c vodka, aquavit or gin 

Instructions: Remove any bones from the filets. In a medium bowl combine all but the dill and liquid.

On large piece of plastic wrap place one filet skin down cover with spices, dill, liquid and top with the other filet head to tail.  Close plastic wrap tightly and place in a glass baking pan.

Cover pan tightly with plastic wrap.  Put brick on top and place all in fridge. Every 12 hours or so, turn the fish over and tightly recover.  Do this for 3 - 3.5 days. At 4 days remove. I take it out at 3-3.5 days.  Take off spices and dill.  Rewrap in new plastic tightly. 

Can be refriged for up to 4 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment